Code of Civil Procedure 873.210 CCP – Division by Referee (Partition Actions)

California Code of Civil Procedure 873.210 is the California partition statute that describes how the partition referee will physically divide and distribute the property in relation to the parties’ interest in the property. The statute states:

The referee appointed by the court to make a division of the property shall divide the property and allot the several portions to the parties, quality and quantity relatively considered, according to their interests in the property as determined in the interlocutory judgment.

California Code of Civil Procedure 873.210

This statute lays the groundwork for the partition referee to equitably divide and distribute the property among its co-owners. In a partition in kind, the partition referee that is appointed in accordance with CCP 873.010(a) must factor in all aspects of the property that is to be partitioned in kind. In addition to examining each party’s interest as described in the interlocutory judgment, the referee must also take into account the unique aspects of each part of the property that would change the value of the portion allotted to each co-owner.

For example, one part of the property may have structures, a road, oil or other natural resources, fertile land, a well or spring, easements, and anything else that would increase the value of that portion of the land. By contrast, other parts of the property may be less valuable where it is inaccessible, undevelopable because it is on a hillside or subject to environmental protections, for example, further from a valuable street area such as a major street corner, more difficult to farm, or is closer to unattractive features such as noise or smells. However, in making the in-kind division, CCP § 873.220 provides for an allotment of improvements that prefers to award land with improvements made by that party.

Partition in-kind creates a unique legal landscape where the expertise of the partition attorney may make a dramatic difference in the outcome of the property allotted to the co-owners.

Talkov Law's Partition Attorneys Can Help

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. With seven, full time partition lawyers, Talkov Law is the #1 partition law firm in California and has handled over 260 partition actions throughout California. Every case has resulted in a sale to either a third party or one of the co-owners. Not a single court has denied our clients the right to partition or declared our client to be a non-owner. Plus, for qualified cases, there is no fee until we settle or win your case!

If you're looking to end your co-ownership dispute, contact California's premier partition action law firm by calling Talkov Law at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or sending us a message today.

Avatar photo
About Talkov Law Partition Attorneys

The partition attorneys at Talkov Law end co-ownership disputes by representing co-owners in real estate partition actions throughout the State of California.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 52 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

    Awards and Recognition

    US News and World Report Scott Talkov

    We Have Been Featured On:

    The Real Deal

    Recent Blog Posts

    The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.