Code of Civil Procedure § 873.660 (CCP) – Securities; Perishable Property; Passage of Title; Proceeds (Partition Action)

California Code of Civil Procedure 873.660 is the California partition statute that discusses securities, perishable property, passage of title, and proceeds in a partition action in California. The statute provides that:

(a) The court may order securities listed on an established stock or bond exchange, and personal property that is perishable, that will depreciate in value if not promptly disposed of, or that will incur loss or expense by being kept, to be sold upon such notice and conditions as may be appropriate.

(b) Unless otherwise ordered by the court, title to property sold pursuant to this section passes without court confirmation. The referee is responsible for the actual value of the property until, after return and proper showing, the court approves the sale.

California Code of Civil Procedure § 873.660

This section has rarely been raised in litigation, as reflected by the lack of case law, brief treatment by the law revision commission, and summary treatment in Witkin. See generally Procedure, 12 Witkin, Summary 11th Real Prop (2023) § 78.

Law Revision Commission Comments to California Code of Civil Procedure § 873.660

In 1976, the California Law Revision Commission explained California Code of Civil Procedure § 873.660 as follows:

Section 873.660 is new; it is derived from Probate Code Sections 770 and 771.

 The provisions of Section 873.660 apply notwithstanding the other provisions of this chapter governing sales.

Talkov Law's Partition Attorneys Can Help

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. With seven, full time partition lawyers, Talkov Law is the #1 partition law firm in California and has handled over 300 partition actions throughout California. Every case has resulted in a sale to either a third party or one of the co-owners. Not a single court has denied our clients the right to partition or declared our client to be a non-owner. Plus, for qualified cases, there is no fee until we settle or win your case!

If you're looking to end your co-ownership dispute, contact California's premier partition action law firm by calling Talkov Law at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or sending us a message today.

Attorney Colleen Sparks
About Colleen Talkov

Colleen Talkov is a Partition Attorney at Talkov Law in California. She can be reached at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 38 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.