Partition Sale of Property in California FAQs

How is the sale of a California property conducted in a partition action?

Throughout the process of a partition action in California, the end goal is almost always to force the sale of jointly owned property. With the court ordering the sale, it can be confusing how it goes about doing this. How exactly is a property sold in a partition action? Luckily, the partition attorneys at Talkov Law have handled over 300 partition actions, dozens of which were sold through the court, the remainder of which resulted in an agreed buyout, voluntary sale on the open market, or other settlement.

The most common way a property sold is a partition that the partition referee hires a Realtor to market and sell the property. While California partition statutes like California Code of Civil Procedure 873.520 cryptically speak to a “public auction or private sale,” the practical effect of these laws is that partition referees generally sell property in the same manner as a normal seller. Specifically, the referee will commonly work with a known Realtor for residential properties or broker for partition of commercial properties, each of whom is familiar with the area and type of property. Effectively, the referee becomes the reasonable seller who will do exactly what would have happened if all the sellers of the co-owned property were reasonable. To ensure that reasonable methods are used, many courts appoint attorneys as the referee, though the referee fees are often quite inexpensive when compared to the Realtor fees.

The sales process with a partition referee in a California partition action

The partition referee is someone who is appointed by the courts to market and sell a property while taking into account all parties’ best interests. The referee will make sure parties agree on or have any feedback on the proposed list price. Once a list price is agreed upon, the partition referee appoints a Realtor. The Realtor will then place the property on the MLS, or the Multiple Listing Service, which is a real estate advertising and listing service for real estate professionals, as well as Zillow, Redfin, Trulia, and or other real estate sites. The partition referee will review bids on the property, and, generally, will also inform both co-owners of all bids and give them a chance to outbid those offers. The referee will keep an open line of communication with the owners and be sure to inform them of any developments in the sale process.

Once the referee has reviewed all bids with the co-owners, the plaintiff will create a referee’s report and file a motion to confirm the sale. This hearing will be open for anyone to bid at least 5% higher. Should there be a bidder who overbids on the property by at least 5%, the referee may “Vacate the sale and direct that a new sale be made.” or “Vacate the sale, accept the increased offer, and confirm the sale to the offerer.”

[1]California Code of Civil Procedure 873.740(a).

This is a relatively rare occurrence in California, given that a 5% overbid with California’s record-breaking property values is a significant amount. More than likely, a member of the public will not overbid on a property they have no attachment to.

If there is no disagreement as to sale, the referee will submit a stipulated sale order to the court. The court usually approves the order within a few a days.

Sale procedures in a partition action in California

Sometimes, usual issues arise in a partition sale whereby the procedures outlined by the California partition statutes provide guidance for the referee and the court.

Article 2. Sales Procedures

Will I receive fair market value for my home when it is sold in a California partition action?

Many co-owners are concerned that partitioning a home may mean that they will not receive fair market value for their property. This is rooted in the incorrect idea that properties in a partition action are sold in a “flash sale” or by other liquidation processes. In reality, with more than one hundred partition actions pending throughout the state, our partition attorneys have found that there is little to no difference in the sale price of a partitioned home and one of a typical home. The home may even sell for more than if it was listed as an ordinary sale as the referee will ensure that any uncooperative coowner is removed from the property. Working with a partition attorney who is also a Realtor and broker will ensure that you receive maximum value for your property.

Talkov Law's Partition Attorneys Can Help

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. With seven, full time partition lawyers, Talkov Law is the #1 partition law firm in California and has handled over 300 partition actions throughout California. Every case has resulted in a sale to either a third party or one of the co-owners. Not a single court has denied our clients the right to partition or declared our client to be a non-owner. Plus, for qualified cases, there is no fee until we settle or win your case!

If you're looking to end your co-ownership dispute, contact California's premier partition action law firm by calling Talkov Law at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or sending us a message today.

Avatar photo
About Talkov Law Partition Attorneys

The partition attorneys at Talkov Law end co-ownership disputes by representing co-owners in real estate partition actions throughout the State of California.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 103 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Offices Throughout California

      Los Angeles Office
      10880 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1101
      Los Angeles, CA 90024
      Phone: (310) 496-3300

      Orange County Office
      4000 MacArthur Blvd Ste 655
      Newport Beach, CA 92660
      Phone: (949) 888-8800

      San Jose Office
      99 S. Almaden Blvd Suite 600
      San Jose, CA 95113
      Phone: (408) 777-6800

      San Diego Office
      11622 El Camino Real Ste 100
      San Diego, CA 92130
      Phone: (858) 800-3300

      San Francisco Office
      50 California St, Ste 1500
      San Francisco, CA 94111
      Phone: (415) 966-3300

      Riverside Office
      3610 Central Ave, Ste 400
      Riverside, CA 92506
      Phone: (951) 888-3300

      Sacramento Office
      500 Capitol Mall, Suite 2350
      Sacramento, CA 95814
      Phone: (916) 668-3300

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.