What is an Answer to a Partition Action?

Answer to a Partition Action Complaint in California

When an action for partition is filed, the opposing party has an opportunity to respond to this action by filing an answer. An answer to a partition action is a pleading by the defendant in response to the plaintiff’s complaint for partition.

In the answer, defendants have an opportunity to address the allegations contained in the plaintiff’s partition action complaint. If the partition complaint is verified, each paragraph in the complaint must be addressed in the answer. Defendants can admit the allegations, deny the allegations, claim they have insufficient knowledge to admit or deny the allegations, or object to allegations by giving a reason for the objection.

Code of Civil Procedure 872.410 CCP – Contents (Partition Actions)

Partition Action Answers – Affirmative Defenses to Partition Actions

Objections are usually followed by alleging one or multiple affirmative defenses to a partition action. Plaintiffs may have stated the facts incorrectly in their partition complaint, or there may be an explanation for plaintiffs’ allegations.

Waiver of Right to Partition in Partition Answer

Furthermore, if the right to partition the property has been waived, this waiver to partition should be addressed in the partition answer to prevent further costly proceedings. As one court explained: “A co-owner of property has an absolute right to partition unless barred by a valid waiver.” Orien v. Lutz (2017) 16 Cal.App. 5th 957, 962 (citing Code Civ. Proc. § 872.710(b) (“partition as to concurrent interests in the property shall be as of right unless barred by a valid waiver”)); see, e.g., Pine v. Tiedt (1965) 232 Cal. App. 2d 734; American Medical International, Inc. v. Feller (1976) 59 Cal.App. 3d 1008, 1014. Waiver is exceedingly rare in co-ownership agreements in California, so if one exists, it is important to address this as soon as possible. There are different perspectives on whether waiver is an affirmative defense to a partition of whether the lack of waiver is an element of the the plaintiff’s partition action.

Lien Claims in Partition Answer

Answers to partition complaints are also required to set forth claims of liens on the property. Code of Civil Procedure 872.420.

Code of Civil Procedure 872.420 CCP – Lien Claim; Date; Amount (Partition Actions)

Claims for Compensatory Adjustments (Offsets) in Partition Answer

The partition statutes in California also require that answers specify claims for monetary compensation by any defendant in a partition answer. California Code of Civil Procedure § 872.430 sets forth that: “The answer may set forth any claim the defendant has for contribution or other compensatory adjustment.” The Law Revision Commission Comment explains that this section “avoids the need of the defendant to file a cross-complaint for affirmative relief” when alleging a claim for contribution or other compensatory adjustment to paid from the proceeds of sale of the property being partitions under Code of Civil Procedure 872.140.

Code of Civil Procedure 872.430 CCP – Claim for Compensatory Adjustment (Partition Actions)

Code of Civil Procedure 872.140 CCP – Compensatory adjustment among parties; equity (Partition Actions)

Contact an Experienced Partition Attorney

Drafting an answer to a partition complaint that is as successful as possible requires the insight of an attorney. We highly recommend connecting with an experienced partition lawyer who has extensive knowledge drafting answers in partition actions.

Talkov Law's Partition Attorneys Can Help

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. With seven, full time partition lawyers, Talkov Law is the #1 partition law firm in California and has handled over 300 partition actions throughout California. Every case has resulted in a sale to either a third party or one of the co-owners. Not a single court has denied our clients the right to partition or declared our client to be a non-owner. Plus, for qualified cases, there is no fee until we settle or win your case!

If you're looking to end your co-ownership dispute, contact California's premier partition action law firm by calling Talkov Law at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or sending us a message today.

Avatar photo
About Talkov Law Partition Attorneys

The partition attorneys at Talkov Law end co-ownership disputes by representing co-owners in real estate partition actions throughout the State of California.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 39 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Los Angeles Office
      10880 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1101
      Los Angeles, CA 90024
      Phone: (310) 496-3300

      Orange County Office
      4000 MacArthur Blvd Ste 655
      Newport Beach, CA 92660
      Phone: (949) 888-8800

      San Jose Office
      99 S. Almaden Blvd Suite 600
      San Jose, CA 95113
      Phone: (408) 777-6800

      San Diego Office
      11622 El Camino Real Ste 100
      San Diego, CA 92130
      Phone: (858) 800-3300

      San Francisco Office
      50 California St, Ste 1500
      San Francisco, CA 94111
      Phone: (415) 966-3300

      Riverside Office
      3610 Central Ave, Ste 400
      Riverside, CA 92506
      Phone: (951) 888-3300

      Sacramento Office
      500 Capitol Mall, Suite 2350
      Sacramento, CA 95814
      Phone: (916) 668-3300

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.