Partition Lawyer in Walnut Creek, California

Partition Lawyer in Walnut Creek, California

Partition Lawyer Walnut Creek Contra Costa California Attorney Partition Action

Experienced Partition Attorneys Serving Walnut Creek

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Contra Costa County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. A California partition action is a law that allows co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes provide a legal mechanism for co-owners to divide the property without having to go through the court system. The partition statutes allow co-owners to divide the property either by agreement or by court order. If the co-owners cannot agree on how to divide the property, then the court will divide the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any partition of the property must be in accordance with the laws of the state of California. The legal effect of the partition statutes is that it provides a legal mechanism for co-owners to divide their property without having to go through the court system.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • Can I be forced into selling a jointly owned house? Under California’s Partition of Real Property Act, a co-owner will have a right to buyout the property. However, absent a buy out at the appraised price, a plaintiff will likely be able to force the sale of a jointly owned house.
  • Who pays for a partition action? In California, each party typically pays for their own attorney’s fees (known as the “American Rule”). However, California partition law allows for an exception to this rule, stating that “the court shall apportion the costs of partition among the parties in proportion to their interests or make such other apportionment as may be equitable.” California Code of Civil Procedure 874.040. Indeed, the court may award “reasonable attorney’s fees incurred or paid by a party for the common benefit.” California Code of Civil Procedure 874.010(a).
  • How to force the sale of jointly owned property? A partition action is the only statutory method to ensure the end of the co-ownership dispute.
  • What are the grounds for a partition action in California? A co-owner is “entitled to partition as a matter of absolute right,” meaning “he need not assign any reason for his demand; that it is sufficient if he demands a severance; and that when grounds for a sale are duly established it may be demanded as of right. To grant it is not a mere matter of grace.” De Roulet v. Mitchel (1945) 70 Cal.App.2d 120, 123-124.
  • What to expect in a California partition action? Partition actions necessarily resolve the conflict between co-owners through an expedited statutory process. A capable partition attorney will assist in expediting the process and producing the most favorable outcome.

Speak to Our Walnut Creek Partition Attorneys Today

End your co-ownership in Contra Costa County today. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (925) 999-7700

Partition California Lawyer Attorney Partition Action

Partition Actions in Walnut Creek

Partitions are quite common in Walnut Creek. According to Zillow, the median home value in Walnut Creek, California is $817,400 as of 2021. As of 2019, the population of Walnut Creek, California is estimated to be 68,917.

Walnut Creek is a city located in Contra Costa County, California. It is situated in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area, about 16 miles east of the city of Oakland. The city is known for its excellent schools, parks, and recreational activities. It is also home to a vibrant downtown area with a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment venues. The city is also known for its beautiful natural surroundings, including the nearby Mt. Diablo State Park and the Shell Ridge Open Space. Walnut Creek is a great place to live, work, and play.

Krieg v. Crawford – Partition Action Case Study

In the legal case of Krieg v. Crawford, 59 Cal.App. 309 (1922), the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The case involved a dispute between two co-owners of a piece of real estate. The plaintiff, Krieg, sought to partition the property, while the defendant, Crawford, argued that the property should not be partitioned. The court ultimately ruled in favor of Krieg, finding that the property should be partitioned. The court held that the co-owners had a right to partition the property, and that the partition should be made in a manner that would be fair and equitable to both parties. The court also held that the partition should be made in a manner that would not cause unnecessary hardship to either party.

Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Walnut Creek in the County of Contra Costa, California.

Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (925) 999-7700 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

Our partition attorneys in Walnut Creek, California serve Contra Costa County and surrounding areas including Concord, Pleasant Hill, Lafayette, Alamo, Danville, San Ramon, Dublin, Pleasanton.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 68 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Legal Fees Until Your Case is Over

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

    Awards and Recognition

    US News and World Report Scott Talkov

    We Have Been Featured On:

    The Real Deal

    Recent Blog Posts

    The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.