Partition Lawyer in Mission Viejo, California

Partition Lawyer in Mission Viejo, California

Partition Lawyer Mission Viejo Orange California Attorney Partition Action

Experienced Partition Attorneys Serving Mission Viejo

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Orange County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by sale. The court will then order the division of the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any proceeds from the sale of the property must be divided among the co-owners in proportion to their respective interests in the property.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • What are the steps involved in a partition action in California? The first step is to file a partition complaint in California, which is followed by a request for the court to enter an interlocutory judgment of partition, thereby appointing a partition referee under the partition statutes.
  • Can a partition action be filed for both real property and personal property in California? Yes, all co-owned real and personal property can be partitioned under California law. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 872.020.
  • Can I recover my attorney’s fees in a partition action? Yes, you can recover your legal fees in a partition action through a motion for attorney’s fees. However, most partitions settle, and most settlements involve a walk-away of attorney’s fees, meaning it important to hire a partition attorney who will handle the matter efficiently since each party is likely to pay their own fees.
  • Who can file a partition action in California? Generally, any co-owner of real property can file a partition action.
  • Are there methods to resolve a partition situation without a court-ordered sale? The vast majority of partitions are solved without a court-ordered sale. Many times, the defendant will buy out the plaintiff’s interest. Other times, the parties will agree to a voluntary sale on the open market. However, the filing of the partition action is generally what forces the defendant to see the wisdom of settlement. Under California’s Partition of Real Property Act, a defendant can buy out the interest of the plaintiff at an appraised value, meaning that a court-ordered sale is only likely occur where the defendant simply can’t afford to buy the property but still won’t agree to sell.

Speak to Our Mission Viejo Partition Attorneys Today

End your co-ownership in Orange County today. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (949) 888-8800

Partition California Lawyer Attorney Partition Action

Partition Actions in Mission Viejo

Partitions are quite common in Mission Viejo. According to Zillow, the median home value in Mission Viejo, California is $717,400 as of 2021. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population of Mission Viejo, California was 96,817.

Mission Viejo is a city located in Orange County, California. It is situated in the Saddleback Valley, and is bordered by the cities of Lake Forest, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, and San Juan Capistrano. Mission Viejo is known for its master-planned communities, and is home to a variety of shopping centers, restaurants, and recreational activities. The city is also home to a number of parks, including Oso Viejo Park, which features a lake, picnic areas, and a playground. Mission Viejo is a popular destination for families, and is known for its safe and friendly atmosphere.

Harper v. Superior Court in and for City and County of San Francisco – Partition Action Case Study

In the legal case of Harper v. Superior Court in and for City and County of San Francisco, 140 Cal.App. 5 (1934), the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The case involved a dispute between two siblings over the partition of a piece of real property that had been inherited from their father. The siblings had agreed to partition the property, but the agreement was never formalized. The sister, Harper, sought to have the court partition the property, while the brother, Smith, argued that the court lacked jurisdiction to do so. The court ultimately held that the court did have jurisdiction to partition the property, but that the partition should be done in accordance with the agreement between the siblings. The court also held that the partition should be done in a manner that would be fair and equitable to both parties.

Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Mission Viejo in the County of Orange, California.

Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (949) 888-8800 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

Our partition attorneys in Mission Viejo, California serve Orange County and surrounding areas including Laguna Niguel, Aliso Viejo, Lake Forest, Rancho Santa Margarita, San Juan Capistrano, Ladera Ranch, Dana Point.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 68 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Legal Fees Until Your Case is Over

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

    Awards and Recognition

    US News and World Report Scott Talkov

    We Have Been Featured On:

    The Real Deal

    Recent Blog Posts

    The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.