Bakersfield Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Bakersfield

Bakersfield is a city located in the southern San Joaquin Valley of California. It is the county seat of Kern County and the ninth-largest city in the state. Bakersfield is known for its rich agricultural history, its oil industry, and its country music scene. The city is home to a variety of attractions, including the Kern County Museum, the Bakersfield Museum of Art, and the Kern County Raceway Park. Bakersfield is also home to a number of parks, including Hart Memorial Park, Panorama Park, and the Kern River Parkway. The city is a popular destination for outdoor recreation, with a variety of activities available, such as fishing, camping, and hiking.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Bakersfield, California is $245,000. As of 2020, the population of the Bakersfield, California area is estimated to be around 380,874 people.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Bakersfield

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Kern County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by awarding each co-owner a certain percentage of the property’s value. The court will then order the property to be divided according to the co-owners’ wishes. The partition statutes also provide that if the court finds that a physical division of the property is not possible, it may order the property to be sold and the proceeds divided among the co-owners.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • Who can file a partition action in California? Generally, any co-owner of real property can file a partition action.
  • Do I need to go to court to win a partition action? While the partition action must be filed with the court, partition actions rarely involve a trial in which the co-owners appear at court. This means it is extremely unlikely that you will need to step foot in a courtroom. Most partition work is done by motion practice involving tentative rulings with little interaction between the court and the attorneys, let alone the co-owners.
  • Can I recover my attorney’s fees in a partition action? Yes, you can recover your legal fees in a partition action through a motion for attorney’s fees. However, most partitions settle, and most settlements involve a walk-away of attorney’s fees, meaning it important to hire a partition attorney who will handle the matter efficiently since each party is likely to pay their own fees.
  • How much does a partition action cost? The cost of a partition action can vary widely depending on the complexity of the case. A typical partition action usually costs between $5,000 and $12,000, with about $8,000 being the most common cost. However, difficulty locating a defendant, the motion to appoint a partition referee, delay tactics by defendants, and other issues may raise the cost of your partition action. An experienced partition lawyer can mitigate costs and resolve your co-ownership dispute with maximum efficiency.
  • Can a Trust File a Partition? Yes, a trust can file a partition action as the co-owner of real property in California.

Speak to Our Bakersfield Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Kern County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (661) 999-3300 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Bollo v. Navarro – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Bollo v. Navarro, 33 Cal. 459 (1867), the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The case involved a dispute between two co-owners of a parcel of land in California. The two co-owners, Bollo and Navarro, had inherited the land from their father, who had died without leaving a will. The two co-owners had been living on the land for some time, but had not been able to agree on how to divide the land between them. Bollo had filed a lawsuit against Navarro, seeking a partition of the land. The court ruled in favor of Bollo, ordering that the land be divided into two equal parts, with each co-owner receiving one half. The court also ordered that the costs of the partition be shared equally between the two co-owners. The case established the legal principle that co-owners of land have the right to seek a partition of the land if they are unable to agree on how to divide it.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Bakersfield in the County of Kern, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (661) 999-3300 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Our partition attorneys in Bakersfield also serve Oildale, Rosedale, Greenacres, Fruitvale, Stockdale Estates, and Downtown Bakersfield.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 53 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.