Code of Civil Procedure § 873.250 (CCP) – Owelty (Partition In Kind)

California Code of Civil Procedure 873.250 is the California partition statute that addresses owelty payments in a partition action involving partition in-kind in California. The statute provides that:

(a) Where division cannot be made equally among the parties according to their interests without prejudice to the rights of some, compensation may be required to be made by one party to another to correct the inequality.

(b) No compensation shall be required to be made to others by unknown owners or by minors unless it appears that a minor has personal property sufficient for that purpose and the minor’s interest will be promoted thereby.

California Code of Civil Procedure § 873.250

“Owelty” is a sum of money paid by one former joint tenant to another after a partition results in the unequal division of property, in order to equalize the disproportionate division of the property. Owelty is ordered by a court as part of a judgment of partition in order to compensate a prejudiced party for the inequality of partition. The term is usually, if not universally, applied to the partition of lands (i.e., partition in kind). See 48 Cal. Jur. 3d Partition § 80.

A recent decision discussing this topic is Jamison v. Jamison (2008) 164 Cal.App.4th 714.

It is important to understand that the provision for owelty of partition, however, should be distinguished from compensatory adjustments under Code of Civil Procedure § 872.140 made under the ordinary principles of equity as for accountings and allowances in a partition by sale of real property. See 48 Cal. Jur. 3d Partition § 80.

Law Revision Commission Comments to California Code of Civil Procedure § 873.250

In 1976, the California Law Revision Commission explained California Code of Civil Procedure § 873.250 as follows:

Section 873.250 continues the substance of the first sentence of former Section 792. The bar on requiring owelty of a minor applies to imposition of a lien on the share of the minor as well as to direct payment. The provision in this section for owelty of partition should be distinguished from compensatory adjustments made under the ordinary principles of equity, as for accountings, allowances, and the like, pursuant to Section 872.140.

Talkov Law's Partition Attorneys Can Help

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. With seven, full time partition lawyers, Talkov Law is the #1 partition law firm in California and has handled over 260 partition actions throughout California. Every case has resulted in a sale to either a third party or one of the co-owners. Not a single court has denied our clients the right to partition or declared our client to be a non-owner. Plus, for qualified cases, there is no fee until we settle or win your case!

If you're looking to end your co-ownership dispute, contact California's premier partition action law firm by calling Talkov Law at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or sending us a message today.

Attorney Colleen Sparks
About Colleen Talkov

Colleen Talkov is a Partition Attorney at Talkov Law in California. She can be reached at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 52 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

    Awards and Recognition

    US News and World Report Scott Talkov

    We Have Been Featured On:

    The Real Deal

    Recent Blog Posts

    The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.