Can a 1031 Exchange Be Used in a Partition Action in California?

Many co-owners of jointly owned property who are seeking a partition action worry about the issue of capital gains and related tax implications. In other words, they are concerned that ending their co-ownership relationship by forcing the sale of jointly owned property may result in immediate taxes on the profits (gains) from the sale of the property. However, co-owners may be able to participate in what is known as a 1031 exchange to potentially defer their capital gains tax by acquiring a like kind investment property with the proceeds of sale from the partition action.

1031 Exchange in a Partition Action

A 1031 exchange allows an owner (or co-owner) of investment real property to exchange their investment in the property into another investment property. This relieves them of both the burden of co-ownership and of defers potential tax implications. We highly recommend speaking to a trusted tax advisor before engaging in a 1031 exchange.

Eligibility Requirements for a 1031 Exchange

There are several important caveats to a 1031 exchange. First, the property must be an investment property (i.e., it cannot be a principal residence). Additionally, the exchanges must be of “like-kind,” meaning that the proceeds of sale must be used to purchase another investment property. [1]26 U.S.C. § 1031

Previously, the IRS treated co-ownership as akin to a partnership that was ineligible for 1031 exchanges. However, Revenue Ruling 2002-22 explained that “undivided fractional interest in rental real property” would no longer be treated as akin to a partnership, but instead would be treated as though it was real property. [2]Rev. Proc. 2002-22, 2002-1 C.B. 733 (2002)

Consult Trusted Tax and Partition Attorneys

This article is not intended to explain all rules related to a 1031 exchange. Instead, it is intended to inform co-owners of the potential availability of this tool when selling co-owned real property. Whether a 1031 exchange can be used in your particular case should determined in connection with a qualified expert on tax law (not Talkov Law). Extensive blogging on the topic of 1031 exchanges can be found online at First American Exchange Company and IPX 1031

To utilize a 1031 exchange in connection with a partition action, contact an experienced partition attorney to help force the sale of property and end co-ownership disputes for good. For a free consultation with an experienced partition lawyercontact us online or call us at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568).

This blog post is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. For tax advice, consult a knowledgeable 1031 exchange intermediary, tax attorney, or CPA who can advise you of your rights.


Avatar photo
About Talkov Law Partition Attorneys

The partition attorneys at Talkov Law end co-ownership disputes by representing co-owners in real estate partition actions throughout the State of California.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 47 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

    Awards and Recognition

    US News and World Report Scott Talkov

    We Have Been Featured On:

    The Real Deal

    The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.