What is a Constructive Trust in California?

Constructive Trust in California for Real Estate Co-Ownership

What is a Constructive Trust in California Real Estate?

A constructive trust is a remedy used by a court to compel a person who has property they are not justly entitled to to transfer it to the intended beneficiary as determined by the court.

How can I get a Constructive Trust?

California law provides that a constructive trust is created where a defendant takes a property by fraud, accident, mistake, undue influence, the violation of a trust or other wrongful act. California Civil Code §§ 2223, 2224. By court order, a constructive trust imposes trustee status on the defendant. This means that they can hold the property but they can’t benefit from it.

A court creates a fictional or “constructive” trust by recognizing that legal title is held by one person (the wrongdoer) but demands the wrongdoer hold that title as a trustee of a trust created for the beneficiary–the rightful owner. The title-holder’s only duty is to give the property to the rightful owner. This can happen if a trustee is stealing from a family trust.

The following must be shown for the court to impose a constructive trust: “(1) the existence of a res (property or some interest in property)’ (2) the right of a complaining party to that res; and (3) some wrongful acquisition or detention of the res by another party who is not entitled to it.” Communist Party v Valencia, Inc. (1995) 35 CA4th 980, 990.

Importantly, if no res exists, then there is nothing over which the complaining party can obtain a constructive trust.

Constructive Trust Example – Real Estate Co-Ownership

Sarah withdrew $10,000 from her bank account to buy a house. Sarah put the money in an envelope in her room. Sarah’s boyfriend, Jim, finds the money and uses it to buy the house in his name with a $20,000 down payment. Jim has wrongfully taken and used money that belongs to Sarah. Jim no longer has the $10,000. However, Sarah can show the court that she withdrew the money from her account and that Jim took it and bought half of the house. Through a method called “tracing” the court can find that Jim has title to the house but must give one-half of the house to Sarah even though the $10,000 that was Sarah’s is no longer in cash form.

Contact a Real Estate Constructive Trust Attorney in California Today!

Contact our real estate co-ownership attorneys today for a free consultation at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or contact us online.

Avatar photo
About Talkov Law Partition Attorneys

The partition attorneys at Talkov Law end co-ownership disputes by representing co-owners in real estate partition actions throughout the State of California.

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 52 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

    Awards and Recognition

    US News and World Report Scott Talkov

    We Have Been Featured On:

    The Real Deal

    Recent Blog Posts

    The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.