Can a Partition Action Be Avoided Through Negotiation?

In any legal setting, if parties are able to come to an agreement before or during litigation, everyone wins. In the context of co-ownership disputes, this is equally true.

With over 100 partition actions currently pending throughout California, Talkov Law’s dedicated partition attorneys have helped to solve co-ownership disputes with hundreds of co-owners. While some opposing parties are amenable to a sale or buyout, others are downright unreasonable, though most fall somewhere in between these two extremes. A partition action is usually a last resort once a co-owner has attempted to reason with a co-owner who is unwilling to part with the property.

Many people feel that filing a complaint for partition is too harsh and they would rather try to work things out with their co-owner on their own before taking this step. Co-owners who have very positive relationships or have recently spoken about selling the property may find that negotiating on their own or sending a letter to their co-owner is effective.

However, in our attorneys’ experience, these soft ball tactics with an uncooperative co-owner are unlikely to be an effective remedy if the co-owner has shown certain signs of belligerence. For example, perhaps they always have an excuse why they can’t speak about a buyout. Or, perhaps they’ve locked their co-owner out of the property, known in the law as an ouster. Or, maybe they have a litigious relationship with their co-owner resulting from a custody dispute or otherwise.

When a co-owner is not seriously interested in selling or buying your interest, filing a partition will be the most effective and fastest way to force the sale of jointly owned property. In our experience, filing a complaint for partition of real property is the best way to show your uncooperative co-owner that you are serious about selling the property. Unlike emails back and forth or a letter demanding sale of a property, a partition complaint filed with the court cannot simply be thrown away and forgotten about. Often times, this results a settlement of the co-ownership disputes.

Talkov Law's Partition Attorneys Can Help

If you want to end your co-ownership relationship, but your co-owner won’t agree, a partition action is your only option. With seven, full time partition lawyers, Talkov Law is the #1 partition law firm in California and has handled over 300 partition actions throughout California. Every case has resulted in a sale to either a third party or one of the co-owners. Not a single court has denied our clients the right to partition or declared our client to be a non-owner. Plus, for qualified cases, there is no fee until we settle or win your case!

If you're looking to end your co-ownership dispute, contact California's premier partition action law firm by calling Talkov Law at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or sending us a message today.

Attorney Colleen Sparks
About Colleen Talkov

Colleen Talkov is a Partition Attorney at Talkov Law in California. She can be reached at (844) 4-TALKOV (825568) or

Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 38 customer reviews.

Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.