Lathrop Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Lathrop

Lathrop is a city located in San Joaquin County, California. It is situated in the Central Valley, about 10 miles south of Stockton. The city was founded in 1871 and was named after the Lathrop family, who were early settlers in the area. The city is known for its agricultural production, including corn, tomatoes, and melons. The city is also home to the Lathrop Business Park, which is a major industrial center. The city is served by the Lathrop-Manteca Unified School District and is home to several parks and recreational facilities.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Lathrop, California is $399,000. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population of the California area of Lathrop is 22,717.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Lathrop

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving San Joaquin County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by awarding each co-owner a certain percentage of the property’s value. The court will then order the property to be divided according to the co-owners’ wishes. The partition statutes also provide that if the court finds that a physical division of the property is not feasible, it may order the property to be sold and the proceeds divided among the co-owners.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • Are there methods to resolve a partition situation without a court-ordered sale? The vast majority of partitions are solved without a court-ordered sale. Many times, the defendant will buy out the plaintiff’s interest. Other times, the parties will agree to a voluntary sale on the open market. However, the filing of the partition action is generally what forces the defendant to see the wisdom of settlement. Under California’s Partition of Real Property Act, a defendant can buy out the interest of the plaintiff at an appraised value, meaning that a court-ordered sale is only likely occur where the defendant simply can’t afford to buy the property but still won’t agree to sell.
  • What are the potential outcomes of a partition action? The most likely outcome in a partition action is that the plaintiff receives fair value for their interest in the property either through a sale to a third party or to the defendant. In rare cases, a property can be divided, through this is not applicable to single family residences with no surplus land.
  • What is the timeline for a California partition action? Most partition actions are resolved in 3 to 6 months by way of settlement. Other cases can take 6 to 12 months to obtain an interlocutory judgment of partition, which generally appoints a referee to sell the property.
  • How long will it take to get the property partitioned and sold? Most commonly, 3 to 6 months is all that it takes for the defendant to agree to a sale or buyout the plaintiff’s interest in the property for a fair value. Some cases may take 6 to 12 months.
  • How long does a partition action take in California?” Most partition actions are complete in 3 to 6 months because most cases settle in either a buyout or agreed sale. However, some cases can drag on for 6 to 12 months.

Speak to Our Lathrop Partition Attorneys Today

Call our San Joaquin County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (209) 600-7700 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Verdugo Canon Water Co. v. Verdugo – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Verdugo Canon Water Co. v. Verdugo, 152 Cal. 655 (1908), the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The case involved a dispute between two parties over the ownership of a parcel of land. The plaintiff, Verdugo Canon Water Co., claimed that it owned the entire parcel of land, while the defendant, Verdugo, claimed that he owned a portion of the land. The court had to determine whether the parcel of land should be divided into two separate parcels, with each party owning a portion of the land, or whether the entire parcel should remain undivided and be owned by one party. The court ultimately ruled that the parcel should remain undivided and be owned by the plaintiff, Verdugo Canon Water Co.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Lathrop, County of San Joaquin, California

    Our Lathrop partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Talkov law unlocks access to justice for co-owners by funding your case. For qualified cases, you pay no fees until we successfully partition your property by obtaining a sale on the market or to your co-owner! For a free consultation with California’s first and largest team of partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (209) 600-7700 or contact us online today.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 38 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

        Awards and Recognition

        US News and World Report Scott Talkov

        We Have Been Featured On:

        The Real Deal

        The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.