webpage stats

Calabasas Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Calabasas

Calabasas is a city located in Los Angeles County, California. It is located in the hills of the Santa Monica Mountains and is part of the Greater Los Angeles Area. The city is known for its affluent population and exclusive gated communities. It is home to many celebrities and is known for its high-end shopping and dining. Calabasas is also home to the Calabasas Park and the Calabasas Country Club. The city is also home to the Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center, the Calabasas Library, and the Calabasas Lake.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Calabasas, Los Angeles County, California is $1,541,400 as of 2021. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population of the California area of Calabasas was 23,058.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Calabasas

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Los Angeles County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by sale. The court will then order the division of the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any proceeds from the sale of the property must be divided among the co-owners in proportion to their respective interests in the property.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • Can you lose interest in a jointly owned home by moving out? Generally, co-owners maintain their ownership interests regardless of whether they live at the property. However, in rare cases, leaving the property for many years without paying taxes or other expenses may allow the co-owners in possession to argue that they have adversely possessed the property. Generally, these co-ownership disputes do not get easier with time, so it is important to act promptly.
  • What is a partition action and when is it necessary?
  • What is the average cost of a partition action? The usual cost for a partition action is about $8,000 to $12,000, depending on the complexity. Some cases settle quickly after the defendant receives the partition complaint, while others can drag on longer if there are more complex issues or delay tactics by the defendant.
  • What are the potential outcomes of a partition action? The most likely outcome in a partition action is that the plaintiff receives fair value for their interest in the property either through a sale to a third party or to the defendant. In rare cases, a property can be divided, through this is not applicable to single family residences with no surplus land.
  • What are the steps involved in a partition action in California? The first step is to file a partition complaint in California, which is followed by a request for the court to enter an interlocutory judgment of partition, thereby appointing a partition referee under the partition statutes.

Speak to Our Calabasas Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Los Angeles County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (818) 900-7700 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Waterman v. Lawrence – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Waterman v. Lawrence, 19 Cal. 210 (1861), the issue was whether a partition of land could be made between two parties who had conflicting claims to the same property. The plaintiff, Waterman, had purchased the land from the original owner, while the defendant, Lawrence, had obtained a deed from the same owner, but after Waterman had already purchased the land. The court held that the partition could not be made, as it would be inequitable to allow Lawrence to receive any portion of the land, since he had no legal claim to it. The court also noted that the partition would be contrary to public policy, as it would encourage people to purchase land without first ensuring that they had clear title to it.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Calabasas in the County of Los Angeles, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (818) 900-7700 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Talkov Law Los Angeles Office

    10880 Wilshire Blvd Ste 1101
    Los Angeles, CA 90024
    Phone: (310) 496-3300

    Talkov Law Offices

    Our partition attorneys in Calabasas also serve Woodland Hills, West Hills, Agoura Hills, Hidden Hills, Topanga, and Malibu.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 70 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Legal Fees Until Your Case is Over

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.