Burlingame Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Burlingame

Burlingame is a city located in San Mateo County, California, just south of San Francisco. It is a vibrant and diverse community known for its beautiful tree-lined streets, excellent schools, and a variety of shopping and dining options. Burlingame is also home to several parks, including the popular Washington Park, which features a playground, picnic areas, and a lake. The city is also home to the San Francisco International Airport, making it a convenient location for travelers.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Burlingame, California is $1,845,400 as of 2021. As of the 2020 United States Census, the population of Burlingame, California was 28,807.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Burlingame

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving San Mateo County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by sale. The court will then order the division of the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any proceeds from the sale of the property must be divided among the co-owners in proportion to their respective interests in the property.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • How will the property be divided if a partition action is successful? In most partition actions, the property will be sold, rather than being divided. If the property is eligible for partition in-kind, the court can appoint a referee to prepare a report on dividing the property in a manner that does not damage the value of the fractional interests.
  • What to expect in a California partition action? Partition actions necessarily resolve the conflict between co-owners through an expedited statutory process. A capable partition attorney will assist in expediting the process and producing the most favorable outcome.
  • What happens to any debts or liens on the property during a partition action? Secured debts are paid from the sale of the property. Secured lenders named in a partition action are generally dismissed with an agreement to pay the mortgage at the time of the sale.
  • Can I still file a partition if my co-owner has filed for bankruptcy? Yes, the partition action can generally be filed in the bankruptcy court or the bankruptcy court can apply state partition law to allow offsets when the co-owned property is sold by the bankruptcy trustee.
  • How much does a partition action cost? The cost of a partition action can vary widely depending on the complexity of the case. A typical partition action usually costs between $5,000 and $12,000, with about $8,000 being the most common cost. However, difficulty locating a defendant, the motion to appoint a partition referee, delay tactics by defendants, and other issues may raise the cost of your partition action. An experienced partition lawyer can mitigate costs and resolve your co-ownership dispute with maximum efficiency.

Speak to Our Burlingame Partition Attorneys Today

Call our San Mateo County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (650) 999-3300 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Sipe v. Hollingsworth & Co. – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Sipe v. Hollingsworth & Co., 99 Cal.App.2d 391 (1950), the issue of partition was at the center of the dispute. The plaintiff, Sipe, owned a one-third interest in a parcel of real property with two other individuals, Hollingsworth and another individual. Sipe sought to partition the property, but Hollingsworth refused to do so. The court found that Hollingsworth had acted in bad faith by refusing to partition the property, and ordered that the property be partitioned in accordance with Sipe’s wishes. The court also ordered Hollingsworth to pay Sipe’s costs and attorney’s fees. The case is an example of how partition issues can arise in real estate disputes, and how the court can order a partition of the property if one of the parties is acting in bad faith.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Burlingame in the County of San Mateo, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (650) 999-3300 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Our partition attorneys in Burlingame also serve San Mateo, Millbrae, Hillsborough, San Bruno, and Foster City.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 53 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Retainer

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.