webpage stats

Brentwood Partition Lawyer

Partition Actions in Brentwood

Brentwood is a city located in the East Bay region of the San Francisco Bay Area in California. It is a suburban community known for its excellent schools, safe neighborhoods, and beautiful parks. It is also home to many tech companies, including Oracle, Apple, and Google. Brentwood is a great place to live, work, and play, with plenty of shopping, dining, and entertainment options.

According to Zillow, the median home value in Brentwood, California is $619,400 as of 2021. As of 2020, the population of the California area of Brentwood is estimated to be around 48,817.

Experienced Real Estate Partition Action Attorneys Serving Brentwood

Talkov Law’s attorneys serving Contra Costa County are exceptionally experienced in the area of California partition actions. California partition actions provide a legal mechanism for co-owners of real property to divide the property among themselves. The partition statutes allow a co-owner to file a lawsuit in court to have the property divided, either physically or by sale. The court will then order the division of the property in a way that is fair and equitable to all parties. The partition statutes also provide that any proceeds from the sale of the property must be divided among the co-owners in proportion to their respective interests in the property.

Our team of partition attorneys can assist co-owners with frequently asked questions about partitions, such as:

  • What are the grounds for a partition action in California? A co-owner is “entitled to partition as a matter of absolute right,” meaning “he need not assign any reason for his demand; that it is sufficient if he demands a severance; and that when grounds for a sale are duly established it may be demanded as of right. To grant it is not a mere matter of grace.” De Roulet v. Mitchel (1945) 70 Cal.App.2d 120, 123-124.
  • What are the potential outcomes of a partition action? The most likely outcome in a partition action is that the plaintiff receives fair value for their interest in the property either through a sale to a third party or to the defendant. In rare cases, a property can be divided, through this is not applicable to single family residences with no surplus land.
  • Can a partition action be filed for both real property and personal property in California? Yes, all co-owned real and personal property can be partitioned under California law. Cal. Civ. Proc. Code § 872.020.
  • When is a partition action right for my dispute? Generally, parties who can reach their own resolution of a co-ownership dispute are not reading websites about partition law. If you are reading this article, chances are that your co-ownership dispute has reached a level where legal options are being considered. Filing a partition action will bring about a certain result to the co-ownership dispute, rather than letting it linger for years on end. However, if the parties are very close to a settlement, it may be wise to consider a resolution.
  • What is a partition action and when is it necessary?

Speak to Our Brentwood Partition Attorneys Today

Call our Contra Costa County Partition Attorneys today to end your co-ownership dispute. You don’t pay until the house is sold!

Call us at (925) 999-7700 or contact us below to schedule a free, 15-minute consultation

    Machado v. Machado – Partition Action Case Study

    In the legal case of Machado v. Machado, 66 Cal.App.2d 401 (1944), the issue of partition arose when the parties disagreed over the division of a parcel of land that had been inherited by the plaintiff and defendant. The plaintiff argued that the land should be divided into two equal parts, while the defendant argued that the land should be divided into three parts, with the defendant receiving two-thirds of the land. The court ultimately ruled in favor of the plaintiff, finding that the land should be divided into two equal parts. The court also found that the defendant was not entitled to a greater share of the land due to his greater contribution to the purchase of the land.

    Contact our Team of Experienced Partition Lawyers Serving the City of Brentwood in the County of Contra Costa, California.

    Our partition litigation attorneys will work diligently to obtain a favorable outcome on your behalf, whether by negotiation or litigation. Call the experienced real estate partition attorneys at Talkov Law at (925) 999-7700 or contact us online for a free consultation about your co-ownership issues.

    Our partition attorneys in Brentwood also serve Antioch, Oakley, Discovery Bay, Byron, Knightsen, and Bethel Island.

    Talkov Law is Rated 5 out of 5 stars based on 70 customer reviews.

    Contact Us Today for a Free Consultation & Pay No Legal Fees Until Your Case is Over

    Call Talkov Law to discuss having your legal fees paid from the proceeds of sale of your property and no money down

      Awards and Recognition

      US News and World Report Scott Talkov

      We Have Been Featured On:

      The Real Deal

      Recent Blog Posts

      The information on this site, including the Talkov Law Blog, is intended for general information purposes only. By using this site, you agree that any information contained in the site does not constitute legal, financial or any other form of professional advice. Information on this site may be changed without notice and is not guaranteed to be complete, accurate, correct or up-to-date.